Struggling to meet your goals? The problem might not be you, it may be the goal itself! SMART goal setting is a strategy to make sure you have an accurate idea of what you want to achieve and what you need to be successful. Read on to learn more about setting SMART goals.
Setting SMART Goals
You are setting a smart goal if you can name ways it is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-based.
If your goal is too broad or ill-defined, how will you know where to start? When thinking about this section, ask yourself:
- What is my goal?
- Who do I need to involve?
- What supplies do I need to start?
Being able to measure progress as we go helps us say motivated. Ask yourself:
- How will I know when I’ve met my goal?
- How will I measure my progress?
- How will I reward my progress along the way?
You need to make sure your goal is within your control and is challenging, but also possible. Ask yourself:
- How will this challenge me?
- What skills do I have that will help me achieve this?
- How will I seek support from others?
There is no use putting effort into something that doesn’t align with your values or long-term goals. Ask yourself:
- How will this meet my current needs?
- How will this help me meet my long-term goals?
- Why is this important to me?
Good things take time, but specific goals have a timeline. Ask yourself:
- When do I need to start?
- When do I want to be finished?
- What will I do if I fall behind schedule?
Using the SMART goal template may help you feel more organized and confident in meeting your goals. Try it for yourself!
Looking to Get Motivated?
Therapy can help you set clear goals and reach them. Eunoia Mental Health helps people reach their potential by providing long-lasting coping skills and non-judgemental support. Learn more or schedule a free phone consultation today!